Race reports/Tävlingsrapporter

The (positive) Ketchup effect

I certainly look happy
We are happy here at Imber Ultra

I am not a big fan of Ketchup and especially not the glass bottled ones that makes you turn the bloody bottle upside down in desperation to get something out from it. And just when you are about to give up, it all floods out. All at once. Often to the excessive amount, borderline to too much.

My last two races have been like the Ketchup effect – BUT without the bad taste, obviously! I will just give a brief report of each one of them. I used these races as training for the longer ultras later on in the season. And what can I say,  I am more than happy to have trained my way to the podium. It also makes me question my mindset; should I consider every race as a training run…?

Imber Ultra, Warminster, 33 miles (53 KM), 900 m of elevation

A nice low key charity event with super friendly food stations and crew and where most of the race fee goes to The Rotary Club. I can really recommend this race to anyone who wants to do a shorter Ultra but with some more challenging sections. The first 1/3 of the race was very nice and hilly and would, on a clear day, have had a beautiful scenery. This race day though, it was grey, cold and nasty winds, making the race pace somewhat slow. The rest of the route was less hilly and for me very mentally challenging (I so much prefer the Mountains and/or hills!) but it was a great training session for my mind. Especially since we got lost several times and I had to run through stomach issues and bad stitches. I crossed the finish line as 1st female in 5:24 and as 20th overall. Happy days!

Rolling down the hill
Rolling down the hill, Sussex ultra, Coastal Trail Series

Endurance Life Costal Trail Series, Sussex, 33+ miles (54 KM), 1600m elevation

This one was a part of the popular Endurance Lifes Costal trail Series. I think this was the 4th time I was signed up for one of their events, but the 1st time I actually took part.

Down by the sea, between Eastbourne and Brighton are some stunning scenery with a few hills to roll up and down. It was a windy day and it turned out that most of the race would be in the direction against the wind…

I kept a nice and steady pace already from the start, and could keep some slow running going uphill as well. I had no intention to race, this was yet again just a training run. I felt very strong and could stretch my legs well during the flat sections, and really push through without feeling exhausted. This is a new feeling for me, and I must say, this increased protein intake I have been experimenting with since two months back, does pay off lovely! The hardest part with this race was when all of the Half Marathoners and Marathoners were let out on the route. All of a sudden, I had no idea who was in the Ultra, hence I thought I was far behind the female leaders. The 10 K loop around the finish area was mentally a bit of a challenge. Add to that, the clear coastal landscape, which made you see just how far in the distance you had to run, before you could head back to the finish area.

But with some sunny spells in the morning, almost no rain drops at all during the day, and with nice and dry trails, this journey was overall a pleasant one. I felt strong all the way into the finish line and I was completely taken by surprise when they told me I was 1st female in 5:39 and 15th overall. Happy days again!

EnduranceLife is a good race organizer who clearly knows how to put up an event. Their easy to follow sign posts means a lot to someone who obviously gets lost more often than not…

So two nice training races behind me, all as a build up to Hoka Highland Fling the 25th of April. A 53 miler in Scotland with 2300 meters of elevation. Now, that is a completely different ball game, as it is the host for the Scottish Trail Running Championships.

Meanwhile, Easter Holiday (Holiday when a student? Don’t think so!) and a training/family week in sunny Spain!

Hasta la vista

Thames Trot 50 miles, the muddy one

Crossing the finish line.
Crossing the finish line.

There is not too much to say about this race more than mission accomplished. I was unsure whether I would run it or not until the day before. Reasons being; I had not trained at all. Barley scraped through 40 km per week during the exam weeks. Prior that it was Christmas and rest. But the runs I did were qualitative ones, in the sand, which looking back helped a lot for the conditions during the race day. During the race I kept a steady pace from the beginning and followed through all the way of the 50 muddy miles (80 KM) across the finish line in 7:59 and ended up in a 6th place in the women’s category. To cross that finish line was a big mental step for me considering last seasons less successful attempts. (The last ultra I finished was in July in Verbier…) Well, this is the beauty with this sport, don’t take anything for granted! So many factors play a part on race day and you just have to stay humble to that fact.

This is what the organizers wrote about the race itself, Go Beyond Ultra;

“…Little did we know that the weather had a slippery, muddy sting in its tail as the frozen trails thawed out. By all accounts this made Thames Trot 2015 a very tough run.

With 68 runners (over 21% of the entire field) failing to finish the course within the 11 hour cut off, it is easy to see just how tough this race was; this truly was survival of the fittest. Miles upon miles of leg sapping slippery mud certainly took its toll. It doesn’t get any tougher or muddier than this. In this light the performances of those 259 ultra runners who made it to the finish line are all the more impressive (even if a few of them were a little late).”

So now a week later, with some good recovery treatments and rest days, I am fully back to training again, in between the obvious school work and research protocol writing and reading week…

Next race is Imber Ultra on the 8th of March, on the international Womens day!

Another DNF…Never-Give-Up-Picture-Quotes-007

Life is funny sometimes. I entered the Centurion Winter 100 in hope for a splendid 1oo miles experience, to override my DNF from UTMB I felt stronger than ever and mentally hungry for a revenge. But “life” was waiting around the corner. I.e things you cannot predict, nor avoid. Like a Uni full of millions of different bacteria from students from all over the world. Housemates with flues and colds. I did my best to be extra careful with my hygiene, boost my immune system with daily dosages of vitamin-C and a had lots of rest. Still I felt like I had a tail of green, slimy bacteria watching every turn I took. The closer to race day I came, the more fatigued I felt. I even had a fevery-like night a couple of days before race start. Either way, I was not going to cancel, I was still ok, maybe I was just nervous and acting like a true hypochondriac?

The night before the race I fell asleep around 9pm with my clothes on (I normally never sleep well the day before the race and I normally sleep without clothes!). I woke up on race morning feeling ok, my resting pulse rate seemed ok so I was good to go.

I went out fast. This was my plan for the first lap. Just to get a hold of my position an then trying to maintain it for the rest of the race. It was very very boggy and slippery on the grass made trails. Still I went out in an decent “fast” pace, that normally would be ok for a marathon distance. I pretty quick felt tired but I thought it was something that would pass as soon as I got to the first aid station. It didn’t and my heart rate kept on elevating with no signs of calming down, as it usually does. I din’t like the outcome. Still I tried to keep up pace with the 1st and 2nd woman (who actually came 1st and 2nd as well, stunning performances by the way! And they are the best in the UK as far as I understand) but I had to let them go. It was ok, I was in a very strong 3rd position which was what I wanted. But on my way back to the headquarter and the 2nd aid station, I completely hit the wall. I started to stumble and even get lost one time, which almost was impossible due to the day light and how can you get lost when all you have to do is to follow the Thames?? I was clearly under the water.

At the headwater I drank 3 cups of Coke. Normally I only take 2. I went to the toilet and tried to calm myself down. But I felt like I had been running 100 km and 10 hours instead of a marathon and 4 hours. Something was clearly not right. Either way, I decided to keep on going until the next aid station and then see how I responded. After the first km my heart rate spiked again, too quickly. And this time it wouldn’t come down although I decreased my speed significantly. So I told myself that this was it. My system was not ok for the day and it was not necessary to push myself into a disaster. The heart is the major so don’t mess with it!

Immediately when I came home, I signed up for another ultra. It was now one week ago and I never got any cold, but I have slept a lot. My heart rate and resting pulse are back to normal so I can go back to some tougher training sessions now.

Lessons learned?

You cannot be the director of every aspect of your life. Things happen. Deal with it.

Your body should never do strenuous workout when it needs to rest. Learn it.

Next race is the 23rd of November, a local 10km then on the 7th of December, the last race (ultra) for the year; Endurance Life 45 miles on the Jurassic Coast, 2 points to UTMB!


Race report: The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc 2014

The good luck paw.
The good luck paw

It took me a bit longer to write this post than expected. The reason is very simple: I had to analyze the race back and forward and was then left to deal with all the emotions that came with it and also the questions, “what if?”, “do I put too much at stake and therefore the disappointment gets bigger?” and “why I am racing at all?”. Yet, you come to a certain point where you have to “box it in” and decide what emotions you want to leave the event with.

I decided that I did what I had to and my run until I abandoned was executed according to my plans and therefore I will have a very good memory of the race itself. Things happen and you just have to deal with it. That’s a fact. In my case I was unlucky and unfortunately I made this THE event for the year, and due to the nature of my course at college, I simply couldn’t race before THE event of the year. Hence the anti-klimax. So coming out from the little bubble of self-pity, I now feel ok with the fact that there is more to life than just results. It’s the journey…

Shitz are getting real
Shitz are getting real!

…a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Try not to stumble will you?!

I had two months of great build up in Chamonix, together with my dog Tabor. I didn’t cover too many miles but I had a lot of verticals and spend around 5-6 hours on my feet each day. I will not give you any details because it is not interesting in this context, but I had to keep track of how I was doing in order to evaluate my result for future training and races of this calibre. I combined longer days of running with some gym work and on rest days I would go to the pool combined with some lighter gym workouts or simply hike with Tabor. This fitted my body perfect because I had a chance to stay active during my rest days so that I could recover my running mechanics. It also fitted my head perfectly (which you all might agree with can be the biggest challenge).

Good morning Mont Blanc!

Three weeks prior the race I decided to peak my training due to the fact that I didn’t feel ready to have a 4 weeks taper that a lot of ultra runners have. Two weeks prior to the race, I did my last longer run (not more than 48 KM) but already at the beginning of that run, I felt tired. I told myself to be careful with my feet, I knew I was borderline for another inversion injury, but still I chose to run without tape (just to properly train my proprioception). I had during my training runs stumbled a couple of times and sort of lengthened that ATFL (anterotalofibular ligament, located on the “outside” of your foot and also one of the most commonly sprained ligament in the foot) so my fatigue together with an already poor proprioception was a risk factor that I calculated with. It turned out to be a very poor decision. It is on the flattest part where you hurt yourself the most. Not in the technical, root or rocky downhill, nope, the flat smooth trails, they are the bad asses when you are tired. So I stumbled and fell. I hit the outside of my knee and the instant pain was far from pleasent. Since it was my last run, I simple dusted of the mud and some blood and kept on going. Bad choice. But we all know how we born maniacs work, we are so programmed to go beyond pain that our self-reflection and body awareness gets a little bit awkward, to say the least. I did the fastest training session that day.

Chillaxing the days before the start
Chillaxing the days before the start

With less than two weeks to the race start, I tried everything to calm the inflammation down. I had great help from both chiropractic treatments in Geneva by Dr. Marc Girod and physiotherapy treatments in Chamonix at La Clinique du Sport by Neil McLean (an ultra runner himself) yet nothing seemed to eliminate the pain. So I decided to let it be and forget about it as long as I could.

Crew instructions and some paw love
Crew instructions and some paw love

The Epic Adventure

What can I say? The North Face Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc is everything you read about it and more.

The vibe of the town was electric, now filled with thousands and thousands of runners and their families and friends. Parts of my family had come to Chamonix to cheer and to crew. I was stoked about this and Mont Blanc showed herself from her sunniest side during the day. The line up for the start was magic and as epic as you could have imagined and although it was now starting to rain (the weather is as moody in the mountains as by the sea in England!), I was relieved to finally being able to stand there on that Special Day. This was something I have waited for since I started running back at 2011.

The race start with the winner already in the lead
The race start with the winner controlling the race already from the beginning

At 6:30 pm to the tunes of the bombastic Vangelis we “zombie ran “on the rainy streets of Chamonix, completely surrounded by thousands of spectators cheering us along the route. It was beyond magic and the rock-star feeling was close at hand. I fell into a nice and steady pace that for some reason turned into a fast pace. At that point I was told I was 5th women. I told myself to slow down and not to get too carried away by the ecstatic vibe that surrounded us. I kept a nice and quick pace for the first uphill but now the rain really started to poor down. However it was still a comfortable temperature so I never bothered to put any waterproofs on. I thought that it could wait until the first checkpoint where I would meet my crew. On the first descent, things started to get messy, the heavy rain had made the ski slope like a mud-bath and the quads and ankles (yes I was properly taped by physiotherapist Neil McLean the day before the race) had to work very, very hard to keep me upright and out of trouble. The problem was, I did not slow down. Instead I went out quite furious to get the first part over and done with.

The first rainy four hours
The rainy first four hours. Fast and furious.

Four hours later, after another rock-star celebration in St Gervais and some passage through dark muddy trails, filled with local people singing and applauding us, I approach the first aid station. I got a call from my brothers’ fiancée telling me that they were stuck in traffic but not more than 10 minutes away. Nothing I could do about it. I needed the rest anyway, I thought. By the time I entered the aid station I was still 5th women. By the time I left, I lost about 5-7 places. However, it was great to change socks and put on new trousers and my super warm (too warm it turned out to be) base layer from X-Bionic. I kept my Compressport compression socks on since they where doing a great job on my calf muscles. Nina who did the logistic crewing was also doing a great job by giving me what I needed so that I could safely continue into the night.

Loved the night section. Pure magic!
Loved the night section. Pure magic!

Passing through the bonfires at the church at Notre Dame de La Gorge was magic and this was also where the fun would begin – the start of the many climbs that is so significant for this race. So this first ascent, the longest I think, I had done three times already. So I felt very confident with the climb. Seven hours into the race I felt surprisingly fresh considering the tough trails filled with water and mud. But then, midway to the summit the knee flared up and started to annoy me. It became so painful at times that I could hardly bend it. As a now certified clinical hypnotherapist, I had several tools in my toolbox to use in case of emergency (for the mental aspect that is). I tried to “tune” the pain down to a 3 (with 10 being the worst pain) and got happy when I found out that it worked. For two minutes. Then it came back on. After 20 minutes of mind gaming, trying to control the pain, I gave up and popped a paracetamol. It was taking to much energy to think away the pain at this point and I had to be fully focused on where to put my feet and poles in order to prevent another injury. It was a bliss to get “back on track” with a focused mind and quick feet and from the summit down it was a very smooth ride. The next ascent was epic, here I took the opportunity to really embrace the moment and to see the stars in the sky all so clear now when the rain was gone. Behind me I could see this magic tail of head-torches and it felt like I was in a sci-fi movie. Stunning, magical and epic! Enjoying the hard work of climbing up steep trails in the middle of the night to the sound of poles hitting the rocks, I fell into a very comfortable pace. It was sometimes very foggy as we came higher up Col de La Seigne. It felt like I was completely alone at certain points. I kept on playing around with my mind by making up a play, letting the hose from my bladder together with my soft flask and my poles playing the lead characters. Each and everyone wanted attention at some point and that would inevitably disturb the other ones who tried to get some rest. So I did my best to settle things for them so they all could be one happy family during the night. By playing this little scene in my head, I was busy and there was simply no room for reflection of tiredness or other complaints.

Finally at the summit I rolled into my comfy red velvet armchair, the type you might be lucky to find in a private cinema, with support for your legs. So I put my legs up there for a while to rest so that this “rolling armchair” could do the job for me. Sometimes I had to step in to put on the brakes or to actually put my feet down because it was just getting too speedy or too technical. But the “rolling armchair” was a very good concept for having a mental rest time during that descent. This was half way to Courmayeur, Italy. I did however start to feel a bit tired a couple of hours before Courmayeur so I did my best in following a guy for an hour or so. Eventually he was just to fast so I let him go. So far I had overtaken a lot of people, but I knew that the real race would start after the next stop so there was no need to think at all about ranking or anything.

Say what???!! Early morning in Courmayeur.

After 12:39 hours, just a little more than half an hour after my estimated arrival time, I reached the “half way” (it is not really the half way; 77,7 km) in Courmayeur. I meet Nina and also my brother Douglas with Tabor and that was so great, just to see them there in the very early morning! Heroes, that’s all I can say about them!

Rolling into Courmayeur
Rolling out of Courmayeur

I took way too long at this stop, way too long. Like 45 minutes. Then again, it was my first time and I had no idea how much I would need to rest in order to finish my first 100 miler. After change of compeed (blister plasters), change of clothes and some food intake, I set off to the next gruelling climb towards Refuge Bertone. It was very beautiful to see the sun rise on Monte Bianco, however it was now time to start the race. With this mind-set I started to overtake a lot of people, both men and women. But I also started to get more and more grumpy due to some tiredness. I had been very conservative with the painkillers but I had one at the latest stop so the pain was abscent, I was just feeling very heavy and mentally a bit dizzy. I had no power to continue my mind play, I was solely focussing on moving forwards as fast as I could. I fell into a good flow again after 14 and a half hour and felt that I was back on track. I passed some cheering Swedes in the middle of absolutely nowhere and it was just such a surreal moment that I started to cry. Not because I was sad, but just so fatigued and overwhelmed with the absolute stunning scenery that surrounded me and on top of that, two nice Swedish guys greeting me. Some pathetic tears later I felt much better and hit a very good mood level.

Rolling down to Arnuva
Rolling down to Arnuva. Dazed and confused.

When I reached Arnuva after 16 hours (95,1 km), all of a sudden I saw Nina and Douglas standing on the side of the food tent. For a second I was confused and didn’t know where I was. They told me to keep on running and don’t think. I was so happy to see them but I couldn’t eat anymore. Not even my own mashed sweet potato. So I drank coke and tried to get some of my Vitargo mixed to gel, into my system but it was not an easy job.

Starting to get a bit moody…
Nah, its fine!
Actually its really great!
…ok, the smile is slowly fading…

The next climb was another brutal equally steep one up to Grand Col Ferret. I managed to advance from 226 to 209 at this point. I could tell that I was going into a dark place since my food intake was limping. Still I could drink coke and so I did. The taste of my potatoes was disgusting, the Vitargo gel that had been great so far, was just not enough because I needed solid food. Note to self; Have a variety of food to please the taste buds, because they play a vital role as well!

On my way to Grand Col Ferret
On my way to Grand Col Ferret


At La Fouly the speaker announced that I was 11th women overall. This stabbed me like a knife in the back! I was only in 11th place….and so the negative mindset overtook. After 30 minutes of debating with myself weather this was allright or not, I decided that this was very good indeed. The race was far from finished and I had done my best and there was nothing more I could do about it. In order to avoid mind slips like this, I normally never want to know my ranking during a race, until maybe the last part. So the rather dark path that I found myself in lasted half way to Champex-Lac. I have been through times like these before and I do welcome them because they are a natural part of this kind of endurance. This is also where the real journey really begins. When you get through such a patch, you really feel alive and stronger than ever. I decided to let Nina and Douglas cheer me up and fill me with energy so that I could carry on the last Marathon distance.

Putting on the warrior face then
Putting on the warrior face then

My goal, to finish within 30 hours was still within reach, but something did not feel right. It was that pain again. And now it had gone more than 5 hours since the last painkiller. My knee had flared up again and it was almost impossible to bend it. This was certainly not the normal fatigue pain that every runner experience, no this was a pain of a different sort, something I simply did not recognize. I knew that if I would keep on eating painkillers, I would do my body a great disfavour and possibly injure myself for a long time over. I felt that I knew too much about pain, injuries and what have you, to just ignore it. Should I go against my own advice “just” to finish this race? Nope, not going to happen. I simply love running too much! And when I made that decision, I felt a relief. Not to abandon the race, because that was just very sad, but I felt pride in my decision. Come three years prior, and it would have been a completely different story… Maybe my college has taught me something after all?!

Decision made. I am DNF-ing. The last steps before I abandon.
Decision made. I am DNF-ing. The last steps before I abandon.

So at Champex-Lac, I saw my crew cheering me with Swedish flags. I sadly broke the news for them and they completely understood. I felt such a disappointment towards them and the rest of my family that waited for me at Vallorcine. They had all come here for me and now I let them down. Of course this was not the truth, but in my head at that time, it was.

Course profile
Course profile

The short reflection

When I abandoned I was still 11th women but now 182 overall, after 123,6 KM and 7057 meters climbed in 21:25 hours. Something that was beyond amazing for me given that it was approximately 2300 starters. I did my first 100-miler and my first DNF (did not finish) at the very same time. I aimed high, and this time it did not work. I leave behind me an epic adventure, both the race and the time spend in Chamonix with Sir Tabor, and I got a very good overall experience. I must say that with some distance to it, I loved the race, it suits me perfect! So not only did I leave my hair in Chamonix (I had a complete hair cut off, before returning to the UK), I also left my heart there!

I hope and wish that I get the opportunity to go back next year, since it will be the last year in a couple of years that I will be able to do that (due to my internship at the chiropractic college clinic ).

Thank you my lovely crew! All of the here except for my brother who hide behind the camera.
Thank you my lovely crew! All of them here except for my brother who stood behind the camera.

A big thank you to my supportive family who supported me both before, during and mostly when needed, after the race! It really meant al lot! See you next year yeah?

ps. The knee issue seems to be a ligament problem that is under healing. Next race is the 18th of October. 100 miles in the UK, Centurion Winter 100…

Lake Distric 100 KM in Ultimate Trails

How can it be possible to run 100KM in ca 15 hours and make it to 2nd place when, earlier in the very same week, you could hardly walk? The answer might as well have been magic. But there is no such thing. It is all about pure science, pure hands and pure skills; it is the very core of chiropractic. Now that is of course not the whole truth because you need both a devoted, and a skilled practitioner, who knows what to do and when. Fortunately I have such an asset in my team which makes my life as an athlete much easier and more competitive. In the long run, you need to get your bits and pieces together and, in addition to a little bit of pain control, then impossible is nothing (yeah it’s the slogan of Adidas, but its darn good!).

It could not have been more idyllic to come to Brockhole, to the premiere event of Ultimate Trails in the Cumbrian Mountains. After all it was the very home of Beatrix Potter and you could almost see Peter Rabbit with friends in the hills; It was the home of fairytales and I intended to become a part of it. The weather forecast promised sun, I had a new tent to sleep in and I felt relaxed, well fed and mentally prepared. All I had to do was to pray that my body would cope with whatever the race day would deliver. I slept fairly well considering it was a pre-race night, and the very early start at 06:00 am did not bother me. My plan was to start off hard to see how the race progressed and to see what my body had to say about that…

Already after one hour something and the first real descent, due to one milli second of not paying attention, I took a very nasty fall and stumbled on my poles and hit my knee (the very same as in Swiss Alpine and also Mountainman…). I did not think at that point that I would be able to carry on but I managed to get back on feet and limp away. The trick was to not stay still for too long and to dissociate from pain and to just run through it.

I was in first position, out of the women until 3,5 hours into the race when I had my first real low period, and it was at that time I was approached by a woman who seemed neither affected by speed nor distance. It was Nicky, the winner in the ladies category (14:17 hours) and after a little chat she put in that speed gear that I spent the rest of the race trying to find. Actually I spent most of the race trying to catch her, and my biggest aim became not to let anyone else pass me. After half of the race I felt that my plan had worked so far, but now I was more bothered with the aching pain from my fall so I had to mentally kick myself in the butt to hit the trails with aggression. The many rocky bridleways were both very technical and slippery and therefore demanding and kept the pace down. I felt no need to rush into another injury. My twisted ankle (a left over from The Fellsman), although taped, was now giving me something else to think about and I thought it was a good idea not to force things more than necessary. Then I heard someone call out my surname in fluent Swedish. It was Niklas, a cool Swede who decided to come to the UK, to the Lake District and to give this race his best feet. And what a race he did! We passed each other on and off but finally Niklas had more strength and finished in a good 9th place overall (14:20 hours)! Well done Nilkas!

Niklas with very light feet and a nice stride did an amazing race. Photo © James Kirby
Niklas with very light feet and a nice stride did an amazing race. Photo © James Kirby

So I went on, flying down the technical but crazy fun downhills, doing some nice steady runs on the flat parts (there was a lot of running in this race which was really pleasant) and took it relatively slow on the uphills. I felt that I was in control even though I became more and more tired. I had no idea how far behind me the 3rd women was, and this stressed me out a bit. But then again I was not in the physical state to force my body to do more than I already was. So I ran the best I could and even though the darkness came and I was uncertain of my navigation, I felt stronger the more towards the finish line I got. Maybe it was psychological, maybe it was the slow pace. I got together with a woman during the darkest hours around 8:00 pm and it turned out that she was doing her first ultra ever, the 50 KM that was on at the very same time. She was doing very well indeed. Even though we were not fast, we navigated through the very dark forest and tip-toed across the increasingly dangerous bridleways with tired feet. It was a relief to finally reach the finish line much later than expected, but than again, I was in one piece, and the time of 15.06 was not bad at all.

A lot of rocks. Photo © James Kirby
A lot of rocks. Photo © James Kirby
Making my way down. Photo © James Kirby
Photo © James Kirby
Photo © James Kirby
Photo © James Kirby
One of the nice but hard descents. Photo by Niklas.
One of the nice but hard descents. Photo by Niklas.

I did not mind the heavy rain that would follow the morning after the race, and, even though I just got 3 hours of sleep (I always find it difficult to sleep after a race), it was so much fun to go to the prize ceremony and to be announced as 2nd woman and 13th overall in the race. With an aching body and exhausted mind I dug deep to get some extra power to drive back home to Bournemouth. It is amazing how much positive feelings can boost your energy levels!

The following week was the beginning of the term at the college and I found we were working with a pace as equally fast as last year. This meant that my recovery process would be delayed for probably a week. But hell yeah, it was all worth it!

Last but not least, a big thank you to my chiropractor Jacqueline Rix at the AECC Clinic in Bournemouth for getting me back on track whenever I think it is not possible. Everything IS possible, we now know that!


Facts The Ultimate Trails

Where: Lake District, Cumbrian Mountains, UK

Distance: 100KM/62 miles

Elevation: ca 4300 meters or 13000 feet

Starters: 170 for both the Race and Challenge

Swiss Championship in trail running, Montainman, Switzerland, August 2013

So I went back to Switzerland and the cute city of Lucerne and its surrounding mountains. It was time for Mountainman, 50 miles (80 KM, 5000 ms of elevation) once again but this time it was the Swiss Championship in trail running. I am not going into detail about this race because I have it all on film. Once I have edited it I will instead post it as my race report. However I ended up in a 16th place out of 31 starters in the womens field. It is allright considering the top athletes do live around mountain areas and I simply don’t. And also I improved my time from last years race with more than an hour. This time around it was 13.31 and yes it makes me happy about it. That was after all my goal.

But now I look forward to longer races. Starting off with the Ultimate Trails the 14th of September in the Lake District in the UK. 100KM and some heavy 4200 meters of total elevation (thinking of boggy, rainy you know typically british trails).

Speaking of longer distances, Ultra Trail de Mont Blanc was on this weekend. Oh how I long for that challenge! There was a new female winner, an yoga-loving americano named Rory, finishing in 22.37 and an 7th place overall, crushing the previous record of Lizzy Hawker, UK, who by the way did not compete due to a stress fracture in the femur.  It is always inspiring with “new and young” talents that can do well in such demanding races. Although she is not a rookie racing for the North Face Team and with her top 5 rankings in the Western States and previous UTMB etc etc. But still only 29…

Well I am certainly not getting younger but I feel that I am getting stronger and better for each race and that the pieces of the big ultrapuzzle are slowly falling into place (is this proper English? My apologies if not…). And I love to run

Swiss Alpine, 78 km, July 2013 … More sun less run (Svenska? Skrolla ner.)

Swiss Alpine did not turn out the way I wanted. And it has nothing to do with the actual race itself, because that was a flawless and brilliant event and amazing supporters that cheered every single one of us nutters. No, this was an act of not being in tuned for hard work. Or the total lack of energy.
I arrived with Dermot on Thursday evening and went for a quick jog the very same evening. The day after it was time for a little run to try the mountains, it ended up being 8 km. It was just so nice being a mountain goat and climb and run free! Nevertheless, it was hard to adjust to the altitude (2400m +- 300) and the thin air left me more breathless than I thought was necessary.

Dermot on the rocks.
Dermot on the rocks.

So when I lined up on the start line in Davos Klosters that early Saturday morning, listening to the bombastic movie tunes that was pumping out from the speakers and watching the sun come alive behind the mountains, I felt big and small at the same time. I had that awful feeling of already being exhausted and yet I was filled with expectation. But sadly my mind told me early on that it was going to be hard. And this is a really bad mantra to hold on to in a race.

Trying the trails.
Trying the trails.

The first 30 KM I knew would have to be fast since most of it was on asphalt and downhill. I was going on average 5:09 min/km pace but I felt funny. And then the sun went on doing its best to heat things up a little. I had to drink a lot and all the drinking of course made me feel sick while running. When the ascent started, I felt numb and could hardly jog, so I walked. Actually I got so angry with myself being so totally out of it I had to change my mindset in order for me to have fun. It was not about chasing a fast time or good ranking, but only to enjoy the weather, the incredible beautiful surroundings and just go with the flow, be in the moment.

Still snow left at Keschutte, 2700 m something.
Still snow left at Keschutte, 2700 m something.

So I let my feet run as fast as possible on the downhill and on the the slightest uphill sections I walked. I took my time at the water stations and enjoyed the views. I tried to smile to the sun who literally fried every runner with its 35 degrees something. And no wind what so ever. After 10 hours and 36 minutes I crossed the finish line with a great relief.
It was a strange race that I early on decided not to race but just to enjoy. It was mentally hard for me because I really wanted to race. But on this day my body did not. And sometimes that’s just life. Even Dermot, who did a smashing fast race last year, had trouble with the heat this day.
With the medal around my neck and the finisher T-shirt in my hand, I let the cold alcoholfree Erdinger slip down my throat. The sun was still shining and 43 on a really bad day out of 144 women was not that bad. After all I got a really nice mountain tan!

ps. Swedish Jonas Buud did it again with his 7th victory. AMAZING!

Where: Davos Klosters, Switzerland
Distance: 78 KM
Elevation: 2650 m

The heat vs me
The heat vs me

Att komma ner en och en halv dag innan ett lopp på 2700 meters höjd och hoppas på en bra placering för att man tycker att man är i hyfsat god form, är i sig ganska så naivt. Att träningslöpa 8 km dagen innan för att få lite höjdmeter och ben i bergen är riktigt dumt. Att sedan gå ut lagom hårt för att sedan tro att man kan öka i 36 graders värme är rentutav idiotiskt. Allt detta står jag för i Swiss Alpine 2013, tjohoo!
Men det är ju så kul att vara i bergen! Så för att få mest bang for the bucks tycker jag att jag gjorde helt rätt…

Väldigt vackra vyer.
Väldigt vackra vyer.

Eftersom jag är född nästan under havsnivå, kan jag inte skryta med en enorm syreupptagningsförmåga till vardags, varpå jag redan vid ankomsten till Davos Klosters fick kämpa med att inte verka andfådd. Egentligen finns det inte mycket mer att säga. Det var tufft redan vid ankomsten, det var tufft redan första metrarna in i loppet. Jag var energilös redan vid start och trots ett hyfsat bra tempo de första 3 milen (5:09 tempo, mestadels asfalt och nedför, så för snabba löpare, lätta km) tog jag snabbt slut. För när det gick uppför fanns det ingen energi, ingen ork. Andades inte särskilt ansträngt så jag låg långt under maxpuls, men det fanns liksom ingen on-knapp till kroppen. Så jag rasade från 15:e plats neråt i listan. Mitt mål kände jag ganska tidigt, var att ta mig igenom. Att skita i placeringarna och spara på krafterna inför kommande utmaningar. Loppet var så att säga redan kört. Dagen ville något annat med mig. Och i åtanke fanns redan ett nytt lopp.
Eftersom kroppen valde att vara i koma, var det bara att lägga om den mentala planen. Att solen gassade på och den normalt så ivriga bergsvinden hade valt att ta en time out bidrog självklart också till min fysiska urlakning.

Hur det än var så blev mitt mantra för dagen “mys”. Mys i de tunga uppförsbackarna för då kunde jag återhämta mig. Mys i de snabba nerförsbackarna för då kunde jag få rejsa. Mys på de sega raksträckorna med svaga uppförslut, för då kunde jag gå. Mys i skogspartierna för där fanns det skugga. Och låta doften av det nyskördade höet få mig i rätt stämning. Men det var svårt att mysa. Det ÄR svårt att mysa när man är tävlingsmänniska.

Snö, sol och syrebrist.
Snö, sol och syrebrist.

Jag kom i mål efter 10 timmar och 36 minuter. En och en halvtimme sämre än mitt mål. En och en halvtimme extra mys fick jag istället. Och väl vid målgång blev jag så jäkla glad över alla supportrar, över att jag lyckats låtsasmysa mig ända in i mål och faktiskt tugga mig igenom ett tufft lopp. För tydligen var detta det tuffaste Swiss Alpine so far. Just med tanke på hettan. Till och med snabbfoten Dermot som förra året sprang på 7 timmar någonting, hade problem med värmen.
Och ja, en medalj runt halsen och en Finisher T-shirt senare, känns den där 43 platsen av 144 helt ok. I alla fall med tanke på hur tufft loppet var för samtliga inblandade.

Hatten av för svenske Jonas Buud som tog sin SJUNDE raka seger! Sjukt starkt jobbat!

The Fellsman 27 april 2013 (For Swedish, scroll down)

I  will not write a full race report due to lack of time. Instead I will talk about why I was lucky in this race.
I could not navigate, even though I got a speed learning session from my classmate Frida and had purchased three (!) maps to be sure where to run. It was just to face facts, no time to practice means no skills. So my only option was to follow the fast guys. And so I did. I was, after the bus drive to the race start where I sat between Superwoman and Spiderman (one of the Fellsman traditions), filled with superpowers. I challenged every physical law and danced with the mountains without letting my feet touch the ground on my descents. My ascendíng parts were a bit slower though, but I raced hard and took a few falls (foot stuck in bogs, stumbling on my poles, rolling on the stones…). My mindset was set on a couple of things: Superpowers, fast and fun. And to find the best navigators.
So I did. Because after 30-something miles, just before the infamous Flee Moss, where you did not want to end up navigating in the darkness, specially not alone, I meet Ian, Martin and Dave. And in a true ultra way we helped each other through the frosty, wet and dark hours to the finish line. Dave, who probably could navigate his way around the world backwards with his eyes closed, took the lead and the rest if us followed. Imaging that feeling when you’re out in the middle of nowhere in complete darkness, stepping into moss, bogs etc and you see headtorches closing upon you from behind. A little bit like orches hunting you down…
The good team spirit and the light of the big and red full moon made this journey to a true adventure.
So yes, therefore I was lucky to have found those guys. Our time was 15:42 hours and that gave us a 60th place out of 402 something. Absolutley cool and fab because we were all newbies to the Fellsman! Also I was on the podium for taking the 3rd price in the women category. Not too shabby!
But now, after three weeks they’ve changed the rankings and it looks like there was an error somewhere in the line and I seem to be the fourth women now. The race committee have not contacted me so I don’t really know. And after all, what does it matter? I am very happy with this true adventure anyway!

Första stigningen och den andra kontrollen på toppen av detta berg. Med snö.
Great Whernside.

Fantastiska fötter men förvirrande resultat i The Fellsman, 27 april 2013

Vill man uppleva äkta engelsk ultra-atmosfär ska man bege sig till nordvästra delen i England, närmare bestämt till West Yorkshire och delta i The Fellsman. Detta ikoniska lopp är med sina 51 år på nacken, troligtvis Englands äldsta och därmed också det mest mytomspunna. ”The Fellsman” med sina dryga 97 km och ca 3353 meter i höjdskillnad, drar årligen runt 500 startande där flertalet är återkommande löpare (eller vandrare!). Inte ovanligt att en typisk “Fellman” gör sin tionde start. England är traditionernas land och “The Fellsman” traditionernas ultralopp. Tävlingen går över klassisk engelsk mark, dvs över hedar och gärdsgårdar, genom ultrapittoreska byar av stenhus, genom fårhagar, upp och nerför dalar och genom en oändlig massa myr och sankmark. På köpet får du uppleva det härligt ombytliga tillika traditionella Yorkshire-vädret; sjutton sorters regn, sol, snöstorm, lägg därtill plötsliga plusgrader, frostbitna minusgrader och allt däremellan. Som bonus finns det många matstationer med hemmagjorda engelska delikatesser och en massa glada utklädda funktionärer.

Glöm det där med att bara springa
Det här är loppet för dig som vill ha något mer än en vanlig ultrautmaning. Om du dessutom, som jag, inte är van vid att navigera, alls, då är ”The Fellsman” en riktig juvel att sätta fötterna i. För just det, ”The Fellsman” kräver att du kan navigera i ca tio mil varav hälften i mörker då loppet går över mestadels otillgänglig och svårnavigerad terräng. (Bara också som en parantes, förra årets upplaga var tvungen att brytas efter ca 17 timmar pga av 20 fall av hypotermi/nedkylning så pass akuta att ambulansen hade fullt upp att kryssa sig fram på de ultrasmala gatorna till närmaste tätort.)

Så hur tänkte jag egentligen här då när jag anmälde mig till detta lopp?

Det var lite så jag undrade när jag satt i minibussen på väg till starten i Ingelborough, inklämd mellan Stålkvinnan och Spindelmannen som på bästa Yorkshire dialekt talade just om förra årets svåra fall av frostskador. Även denna utklädnad är klassisk för just ”The Fellsman”. Av surret på puben kvällen innan så hade premiärlöpare inte så mycket att hämta mer än att ha ”turen” att fullfölja och kan du inte navigera ska du ha tur om du hittar en grupp att hänga på. Dessa grabbar hade varit med några gånger innan….
Jag hade alltså bara ett val, oavsett mina tre införskaffade kartor, kompass och en snabbkurs i blixtens hastighet av min klasskamrat, att springa fort som f-n utan att ta ut mig fullständigt och alltid ta rygg på någon.
Kör in vind!

Bussresan med stålis och supis till starten samma morgon hade tydligen givit mig superkrafter. För hur tungt det än var att ta sig uppför alla slippriga stenar, mossar och helvetiska vertikaler, så fullkomligen flög jag nedför alla branter. Den där übercoola känslan av tyngdlöshet som råder när fötterna alltid är i rörelse och man på ett brutalt men ödmjukt sätt utmanar fysikens lagar och är ett med berget – ett tillstånd av totalt harmoni kryddat med adrenalin – tills det man kraschar på en sten, eller snubblar på sin stav och inser att man är 37 år och ganska ömtålig trots allt…

Eftersom mitt mål för loppet var, förutom att ha kul (och att ta mig i mål och att få 3 poäng till UTMB 2014), även att springa fort som sjutton till mittenkontrollen, efter ca fem mil, för det var där den tuffaste navigeringen genom Fleet Moss började. Den ville man INTE göra i mörker. Men fort som sjutton innebär också en risk att bränna ut sig. Jag chansade. Framåt. I rörelse. Matintaget var jag nitisk med, alltid något var 15e minut. Mestadels gel (denna gång choklad och espresso) eller bitar av min hemmagjorda pizza.
Vid matstationen innan Flee Moss mötte jag tre killar som jag passerat ett flertal gånger på min väg nedför, men som segat sig förbi mig på alla uppförslut. De frågade om jag ville hänga på över mossen och eftersom mina ben var ganska sega vid det här laget kunde jag gott och väl behöva draghjälp också. Det visade sig vara ett lyckodrag, för de var grymma på att navigera och de var effektiva. Så när mörkret föll och vi kom till kontrollen då vi skulle formellt grupperas inför natten, så kände jag mig både trygg och glad över att vara i säkra spår. Det var också nu som det slog om till bitiga minusgrader. Det enda sättet att inte förfrysa var alltså att ständigt vara i rörelse.
Nattnavigeringen var oerhört tuff men vår ledsagare Dave, som till vardags jobbar som äventyrsguide och klättrare med världen som arbetsplats (!) var en fena med sin Suunto Ambit och kartan. Alltid uppskattat när någon kan hantera roliga leksaker i skarpt läge. Så medan Dave tog sikte i mörkret, höll jag i taktpinnen.
Skomakare, bliv vid din läst!

Denna nattliga färd med pannlamporna på trötta skallar kunde alltså ha slutat i total förnedring om det inte varit för den fina navigationen och att alla i gruppen höll humöret uppe med sång och skämt. Ultragemenskap i sitt esse! Genom kärrmark och dy med blöta fötter i minusgrader och snålblåst kämpade vi oss igenom nattens mörker med en röd och stor full måne som sällskap. Han såg faktiskt riktigt lurig ut där han låg och vilade vid horisonten. Det var stundom magiskt. Särskilt när vi på håll såg horder av pannlampor närma sig oss. Lite som jagade av orhcer i mitten av natten in the middle of nowhere…

På podiumet, eller hur var det nu?
Daves stensäkra navigering gjorde att vi passerade minst två grupper av tävlande. Vi kändes oss givetvis stärkta av detta och beslöt oss för att ta oss i mål inom 16 timmar. Jag visste att jag låg hyfsat bra till som tjej, kanske en fjärde, femte plats vilket så klart ökade min fart något de sista kilometrarna. Väl i mål i enad trupp var det bara att krama om alla och tacka för ett sjukt bra samarbete. Vi var mäkta stolta som grupp också eftersom samtliga hade just genomfört sin Fellsmanpremiär. Happy faces!

Efter en snabb middag och en lång härlig dusch, var det dags att sova några få timmar på golvet i sporthallen (hade ju glömt liggunderlag). Dagen efter var jag tvungen att stanna lite längre än väntat då jag inte var i kördugligt skick på fel sida av vägen riktigt ännu. Skulle ju trots allt ultraköra också i en sex timmar till södra delen av England och Bournemouth. Så jag stannade kvar på prisutdelningen och småsnackade med killarna från puben dagen innan. De blev allt lite chockade över att jag tog mig mål. Och fortare än dem tydligen. Jo, jag tränade en del, fick jag ju medge. Eller rättare, att löpa är mitt liv. Så när de annonserade kvinnornas resultat och podiumplatser, höll jag på att trilla av stolen när de ropade upp mig som tredjepristagare!

Nu tre veckor senare har de ändrat i resultatlistan och jag läser mitt namn som fjärde kvinna i mål. Dock har tävlingsledningen inte informerat mig och jag har inte fått detta bekräftat. Någonstans verkar det vara det en miss i protokollet.
Oavsett vilket så är jag väldigt nöjd med min insats! Min och gruppens sluttid blev 15:52 timmar. Totalt en 60 plats av 402 startande. Och kanske då en tredje eller en fjärde plats av kvinnorna (av ca 35).

This was taken before the muddy part kicked in. My shoes are still shiny.
This was taken before the muddy part kicked in. My shoes are still shiny.

Vad nästa utmaning blir, vet jag i skrivande stund inte. Om ett par veckor så har jag tentor i två veckors tid och träningen går lite på sparlåga. Förhoppningsvis blir det något nytt spännande äventyr i England innan jag beger mig hem till Sverige!

Fakta The Fellsman 2013:

Ingen dropbag men stenhård utrustningskoll. Samma obligatoriska utrustning som UTMB.
Distans: 61 miles, ca 97 KM
Höjdskillnad: 11.000 feet, ca 3353 meter
Matstationer: ca 9 stycken
Kontroller: ca 25 stycken
Anmälda: 503 st
Startande: 402 st
Som tog sig i mål: 306 st
Bästa kvinna: 12.36 timmar
Vinnare overall: 10.34 timmar.

Mountainman 80 KM, 5000 HM, 18 augusti 2012


Schweiz, från Mt Titlis vid Engelberg – till Mt Pilatus, ovan Luzern.
Jag var i mitt livs form. Jag hade dessutom haft två grymma träningsdagar med nästan 7 mils bergslöpning samma vecka. Så vad kunde gå fel…?

Jag missade starten. Pga den okristligt tidiga morgonväckningen, 04:00, så uteblev frukost och gårdagens kvällspizza fick stå för energin med en orolig mage som följd. Så i liften från Engelberg på väg upp till starten, hörde jag hur startpistolen knall av. Det skulle verkligen bli ett lopp med Festina Lente som mantra. Make haste slow.

Nu var det ingen ko på isen. 80 KM skulle inte avgöras med fem minuters marginal. I alla fall inte för min del. Målet för loppet var att disponera det väl, att le och njuta av scenerierna och att ta mig i mål inom maxtiden 16,5 timmar.

Ett pärlband av tidiga morgonlöpare

Nya polare
Nytt för den här loppet, som alltså var mitt andra bergslopp, var stavarna. De skulle visa sig vara till grymt bra hjälp och avlastade benen på ett smidigt sätt. Dessutom kom de att bli taktpinnar vid stunder då benen inte längre ville dansa med bergen. Dessa kommer bli oumbärliga för mina framtida bergslopp.

Bolt pole pose

Värmen och magen
Det blev en fantastisk dag och stigningarna och utförslöporna flöt på mycket bra. Jag låg hela tiden långt under min maxpuls och tvingade mig själv att stanna kvar i den näst bakre klungan, åtminstone till halvvägs. Dagen blev oerhört het, säkert minst 35 grader, strålande sol och absolut inte en enda vindpust. Overkligt och ovanligt! Dessvärre påverkade detta min mage och knoppen så att jag mådde riktigt illa de fyra första milen. Inte blev det bättre av att jag var totalt oförmögen att äta något överhuvudtaget. Humöret var dock på topp och jag sken ikapp med solen! Halvvägs släppte illamåendet och jag följde planen att öka farten något. Nu var det riktigt hett vilket gjorde det tufft att gå på för hårt. Varje vattentunna eller kar som fanns, var ett iskallt välkomnande att kyla huvudet i. Dessutom fick jag snabbt ner pulsen. Fast efter två minuter var man en het mosad potatis igen.

Ren luft på burk?
Magnifik utsikt över Interlaaken. Otäckt smala stigar…

Slutspurten NÄSTAN ända fram
Planen var att maxa de sista två milen, om jag kände mig fit för det. Och det gjorde jag. Hittils hade stigningarna varit brutala och jobbiga, men jag hade till skillnad från Zugspitse, tagit det lugnt vilket gjorde de riktigt roliga. Mycket var också tack vare mina nya polare; stavarna! Den näst sista milen var en snårig skogsstig på ca 1250 meters höjd. Den var mycket teknisk men bjöd in till att bränna på. Jag hamnade i ett härligt flow och flög fullkomlig nerför lera, rötter och stenar, så pass väl att jag passerade ett tiotal medtävlande. Jag visste att den sista stigningen till målet, Pilatusberget, skulle bli tufft, men det tänkte jag inte på då och där när jag försökte springa ikapp lite tid. Men vid den sista matstationen insåg jag att jag var slut. Jag fick i mig lite soppa och en sipp gel, men i övrigt körde jag på tomgång. Nu var det bara 6 km kvar. Uppför. En vertikal på över 1,5 kilometer. Var snäppet värre än det låter vill jag lova.

Mt Pilatus och den långa vägen upp. Vid den röda pricken, bergsbanan, syns serpentinstigen.
Mt Pilatus, 2132 HM

De två ryggtavlor jag tog sikte på försvann ur mitt synfält. Jag började yra och hade lite svårt att hitta vägen. Pizzabränselt var sedan länge slut, viljan rann ner med svetten under skolsulorna och mörkrets inbrott flåsade mig i nacken.
Då mötte jag en tjej som skuttade ner på lätta fötter. ”Bra kämpat, du är en vinnare!” sa hon. Jag mumlade något till svar innan jag vaknade ur min semikoma och frågade hur det hade gått för henne. Hon svarade att det gått bra, 10:40. Tur att stavarna höll mig på benen. Hur var det möjligt med en sådan tid?? Hon var loppets snabbaste i damklassen. The Winner alltså. Var bor du människa? ”I bergen” svarade hon redan på språng för att hjälpa sin kompis längre ner på vägen. Som för övrigt passerade mig. Jo, det var nog en fem stycken som passerade mig där jag gick och sulade i min dvala. Jag såg den upplysta målgången i ögonvrån och hörde musiken och applåderna, men det var väldigt långt upp dit. Serpentinvägen med rullstenarna lekte lustigahuset med mig och jag trampade bakvatten. Jag hade ju orkat NÄSTAN hela vägen. Tusan att det var de sista kilometrarna som det skulle falla på. Hop Hop hop. Överallt stod dessa beundransvärda funktionärer som med sina käcka tillrop försökte bringa liv i en trött själ. I mörkret.

Nästan samma egenskaper.

Då såg jag bergsgetterna komma mot mig i skenet av min pannlampa. Jag kände mig verkligen inte som en av dem. Men jag fick ny energi av denna magiska naturupplevelse och borrade ner blicken och tog de sista beslutsamma stegen mot mållinjen – i sann vädursanda. De sista stegen uppför trappan var lätta och jag studsade otäckt energiskt in i mål på tiden 14:43. Jag var nöjd! Det var under maxtid och det var riktigt gött.
Belöningen blev att få åka världens brantaste bergsbana – det gick utför i typ 25 minuter.


Jag disponerade loppet kanon. Att jag tog slut de sista kilometrarna är en kombination av den extrema värmen, utebliven energi och så klart, att jag inte bor i bergen eller ens i närheten av en kulle av värdigt mått för den delen…
Jag hade kunnat få ner tiden en timme minst, om allt hade flutit på bättre med energiintaget så detta måste jag lösa inför kommande lopp. Men i övrigt så var jag inte ens trött dagarna efter loppet, i alla fall inte i kroppen. Och detta bådar klart gott för framtiden.
Resultatmässigt hamnade jag ungefär i mitten av samtliga startande. Helt ok. Känslan, som var mitt mål att boosta, var kanon och jag är mer än sugen på nya löpäventyr!

Min favoritpose. Kolugn.


100 KM Zugspitze, 5400 HM, 24/6 2012

On the dark side

Perfekta tyska alper på nätta 100 KM som en premiär för tävling i bergen? Ja men visst, varför inte! Jag hade ju förberett mig i ett halvår. Så nu när tävlingsdagen närmade sig var förberedelserna så gott som klara. Jag hade sprungit i hård motvind i sanden på Ribban, jag hade backköttat i Sjöbos skidbacke, jag hade tränat feltramp och lera, stenar och rull med ryggsäck i Dörröd. Och distansen 10 mil, det var ju inget. Jag hade ju gjort 25. 10 mil kändes snarare lite bekvämt…

Krut i bagaget
Med mig i bagaget hade jag min moder. Inte för att hon på något sätt är en löpfantast än mindre anser att det jag håller på med är särskilt vettigt, men dock som en god supporter. Som bonus kom Kalle Krut med! Kalle hade jag mött på några av de backträningar som vi kört med Tobbbe (Team Create) och några andra galningar på sopberget i Lund, mer känt som St Hans backar. Kalle Krut är en triatlet och tillhör Crisp TriTeam och skulle även han genomföra sin bergslöpardebut. Dessutom skulle han spränga sin längsta löpardistans och satsade på 70 KM med brutala höjdmeter! We love that!


Vi välkomnades av ett vacker Grainau, en liten dotterby till gigantiska Garmsich Partenkirschen. På tyskt manér var det både gemütlich och cleant. Salomon stod för ett suveränt välordnat arrangemang från början till slut och inget lämnades åt slumpen. Kvällen innan race day var det sedvanligt pasta-party. Kändes stort att sitta i samma tält som nästan tusentals galna löpare, vissa mer härdade än andra. Det bjöds på underhållning signerat auf Bayern med fyra piskmän i läderhausen som ståendes på borden rappt svingade sina långpiskor i något som märklig nog lät som en melodi. Största behållningen var deras miner då de med nöd och näppe försökte undvika skalpen på alla oss löpare som med hjärtat i halsgropen duckade undan den tyska långpiskan.

Loppet. Kruten tog slut. Den andra klarade sitt mål.
Starten gick 07:15 i Grainau. Vi blev lovade en strålande dag med endast vind uppe på topparna. Highway to hell dundrade ut ur högtalarna och adrenalinet pumpade. Om jag nu känt mig svag dagarna och tom veckorna innan, var det nu som bortblåst! Äntligen skulle jag få springa!

hard workers to be
Let’s do it!

Jag rusade fram efter de första tio minuternas knökande. Nej här fanns ingen tid att spilla, jag ville upp i bergen och köra på! Jag hade ju hur mycket energi som helst, det skulle kunna räcka långt det här. Tuta och kör!

Ellerhur?! Visst, jag kutade på i ett högt tempo, joggade uppför vid lätt lutning, lät benen löpa fritt uttför, dansade mig igenom trixiga rötter, hala stenar och fuktiga stigar. Sedan kom det en skidbacke eller något annat oerhört vertikalt. Då märkte jag att jag inte sögs uppför längre. Helt plötsligt fick jag svårt att andas och folk som jag tidigare så hurtigt passerat, stavade sig lättvindigt förbi mig. Jag insåg med ens att jag skulle tappa tid i uppförsluten. Och uppför det skulle det gå mycket… Då var det bara att släppa lös bromsen nedför, tänkte jag mitt blåbär till bergslöpare. Efter ca två mil med denna idiotiska taktik, och två matstationer senare, hade jag bränt allt krut. Och på tal om just krut så kom Kalle seglandes förbi! Jag gav honom tummen ner och ett lyckönskande i loppet. Han krutade vidare med hög explosionsrisk medan jag bara kunde sprängas av min värk. Vaderna krampade så jag stannade var femte meter och försökte avhjälpa det hela. Jaha, det var bara 8 mil kvar. Hur i allsindar skulle jag ta mig igenom detta?

Ny plan; skit i tiden, du är redan körd! I stället: njut av omgivningarna, pausa ordentlig vid varje mil, ta dig till fem-milsstationen och avgör om jag vill fortsätta eller ej. Ännu en av de mer rationella coacherna i mitt huvud, som av någon anledning aldrig kom till tals vid startlinjen. Krampen släppte så småningom och jag kunde börja jogga igen. Vissa partier fick jag upp ett behagligt tempo men så fort det gick uppför, och som sagt det gjorde det ofta, så blev jag Linn 85 med kol. Jag lyckades trots allt hitta mod och glädje i den storslagna utsikten och fick väl vara på pensionärspromenad då. Huvudsaken var att jag tog mig framåt.

Svettig lins. Linns svett.
In i dimman

Vi passerade flera snöpartier där taktiken att skråa skiljde sig rejält från löpare till löpare. Många druttade på ändan och andra tuggade lera bredvid. Jag lyckades hålla mig på fötterna och klarade mig hyfsat bra genom dessa vintriga passager. Men det var fortfarande tungt uppför. Matstationen vid fem mil började hägra och jag hade både långa byxor och en ljummen (alkoholfri) öl att se fram emot! Men humöret, jisses! Jag var både tjurig och tvär och absolut allt annat än positiv. Det var tydligt att jag var slut. Kaput. Finito. Dance with the devil.

Femmilaren kom och jag tog en halvtimmes paus. Det var för långt. Men jag kunde inte annat. Och så bar jag mig av mot mörkret. Jag insåg att om jag ville komma i mål vid ett i natt var jag tvungen att rappa på. Jag hade knappt kommit från matstationen, som jag för övrigt aldrig åt något från mer än en apelsinklyfta, förrän magen var i uppror. Inga mer gel, skrek den. Inte så konstigt, gel och elektrolytvatten är inte skonsamt för magen. Men nu var det som det var. Bara att genomlida.


De kommande två milen kunde varit underbara. Vi hade lämnat klättrande bakom oss för en stund, två av de tre topparna var besegrade. Nu platt härlig mark att löpa på! Men så blev det inte så klart. För jag kunde inte springa mer. För sprang jag, då kunde jag inte andas. Och gick jag så tog det förbannat lång tid. Så jag blandade. Tre stegs jogg, femton stegs promenad osv. Nu var hoppet ute och jag funderade allvarligt på att bryta. Det kändes faktiskt riktigt illa över bröstet och kanske var det så att det rentutav var farligt. Jag beslutade mig att efter sjumilsstationen ta upp telefonen och ta fram Bryta?-numret.


Då kom ett sms från Kalle Krut. Han hade nått sitt mål, 70 KM med en sjuhelsikes bra tid. Vilken jäkla premiär!
Jag kunde ju inte bryta nu när jag var så nära. Då kom tjecken, Thomas, TT. TT hade ont han med, fast i benet. Jag sa att vi kunde ha följe på ett villkor, att vi gick. Det var tre mil kvar och jag tänkte ta mig i mål. Även om jag inte kunde springa en meter till. TT och jag gjorde gjorde en deal, only walking. No running.
Lagom till vi nådde, vad vi trodde var den sista stigningen, slog mörkret till med full kraft. En pågående ljusfestival gjorde dock sitt bästa för att bringa magi i kvällen/natten. Men med mörkret kommer desorienteringen och oförmågan att uppfatta distanser och höjdmeter.

Ljus i mörkret. Kors i himlen!

Nog finns det mål och mening med vår färd – men det är vägen, som är mödan värd
Utan att överdriva gick det segt. Både att konversera med TT och att ta sig framåt. Men han var positiv, lånade ut en stav till mig och försökte säga bra saker om Sverige. Som att Pippi var en stark figur. Pippi ja, jag var långt ifrån Lilla Gubben och Villa Villerkulla nu.
Och när vi trodde att vi var nära kom en brant. Det var exakt vid 1,5 mils skylten och slutet kändes inom räckhåll. Ja slutet. Målet var slutet på denna färd. Branten visade sig vara en extrem vertikal bergsrygg med både fallna träd och sliriga rötter på stigarna. Härligt så där mitt i mörkret och i varulvens timma. 1,5 mil för fasiken, det var ju NÄRA! Vi följde avlägsna röster och förstod att någonstans där upp inne i den mörkaste av natta, fanns den näst sista matstationen. Jobba. Steg för steg. Jobbigt. Steg för steg. Och klockan, den passerade både midnatt och ett.
Nåväl, vi tog oss framåt och uppåt i alla fall. Och det var en lättnadens suck att få sörpla i sig lite soppa på matstationen nummer näst sist. Då kunde vi påbörja resan neråt, tänkte jag med lite nyvunnen energi i huvudet. Nej. Nej?
Det var en loop också. Vaddå loop? Vänta nu här. Jag ska inte ta nån j-a loop. Eller joho, det skulle man visst.
Loopen var en mil. Ytterligare FEM km UPPFÖR. Vi hade alltså kravlat oss uppför det jag trodde var minst 10 km för att veta att det är nu stigningen börjar. Upp på toppen av Alpspitze bara! Yodela ho hooo!

nära och ändå så långt åt fanders

Bryt upp, bryt Upp! Den nya dagen gryr. Oändligt är vårt stora äventyr.
Och så här höll vi alltså på. Uppför i snigelfart med mörkret i ansiktet. Dock var de heta och brinnande eldposterna otroligt vackra och välkomnande runt om vår “lilla” loop. För att inte tala om den alldeles perfekta stjärnhimlen. Fast jag hade fullt sjå att hålla blicken på fötterna, det vore just snyggt att bryta foten till ett stjärnfall.
Slutligen mötte vi gryningen på vår väg nedför. När man trodde att det inte kunde gå mer nedför, då gick det nedför ännu mer. Trodde ett tag vi var på väg till helvetet…

Men så kom solen i takt med stela fötter på plan mark. Lugnet rådde, tystnaden ekade mellan bergsväggarna. Endast släpandet av trötta skor mot asfalten hördes. Och på en balkong stod ett morgonpiggt gråhårigt par och vinkade fram oss – mäktigt! Nu var det nära målet. Vi enades om att springa de sista metrarna in i mål. Och så gjorde vi, tillsammans nådde vi äntligen äventyrets mål, slutet på vår färd. Klockan hade passerat 06 på morgonen. Tårarna kom på mållinjen och piggaste Kalle Krut (som inte sovit en blund sedan sin målgång) mottog mig med en kall öl! Jag fick min T-shirt, min medalj. Jag fick mina 4 kvalpoäng till Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc. Och jag fick min öl!


Det var ca 900 deltagande totalt. (Vet ej exakt antalet som deltog i 70 KM respektive 100 KM.)
Damer/brudar 100 KM:
Antal startande: 32
Antal som tog sig i mål inom tidsgränsen: 22
Min placering: 17
Summa summarum: En premiär är en premiär. Den är till för att man ska gå på alla nitar, helst på en och samma gång så att man kan undvika dessa till nästa gång. Att bli mittenplacerad av alla kvinnliga startande är inte fy skam. Särskilt inte med tanke på att Brösarps backar, Dörröd eller Kullaberg, bara är en tånagel hög i jämförelse. Hade som mål topp 10, nu blev det topp 20. Hade som mål 20 timmar nu blev det 23. Dessutom var jag enda svensk i 100 KM in alles. Det känns faktiskt helt ok och nu efteråt är jag mer än taggad för nästa utmaning…

Ett stort tack till Kalle “Krut” Hagman som förutom ett fantastiskt lopp också var en kanon att resa med =)
Och tack också till Tobbe, som även han gjorde ett mycket bra lopp på 70 KM-banan, som tipsade om tävlingens existens
Och så till familjen Sahlström/Erixon som bidragit som sponsorer, utan er ingen tävling
Och så klart till mamma Annika, som lovar att aldrig mer följa med då hon hävdar att det inte går att sova när ens unge ränner omkring i bergen mitt i natten…men som ändå blev bergsbiten och gärna vill vandra i lugn och ro – någon?

Jag och moder, efter piskorna…
Kalle och jag innan start
*REKLAM* världens bästa sko!